What formalities must a person who has fled from Ukraine first to another EU country and then to Poland after a few months?

The citizens of Ukraine who entered Poland in the period from February 24, 2022 have the right to take advantage of the act of 12 March 2022 on assistance to Ukrainian citizens in connection with an armed conflict in the territory of that country (hereinafter: the special act), entry to Poland did not have to be made directly from Ukraine.

Therefore, if a citizen of Ukraine left for Poland within the above-mentioned period, regardless of whether it is direct or through a third country, he will be covered by the special act. However, in order to obtain the benefits indicated in the special act, a citizen of Ukraine should obtain a PESEL number and register his stay no later than 90 days from the date of entry into the territory of Poland, i.e. the moment of entry to Poland is decisive, not the moment of leaving Ukraine.

If a Ukrainian citizen benefits from refugee benefits in a country other than Poland, then in the event of obtaining the right to them in Poland, it is necessary to resign from receiving them in another country, because a Ukrainian citizen may only use temporary protection in one EU country. Although currently the countries providing assistance to Ukrainian refugees have not coordinated the assistance system among themselves, it is possible that such coordination will take place in the future, and therefore a person receiving benefits in different countries may face negative legal consequences for this reason. ZUS already has tools for exchanging information with the corresponding authorities in other EU Member States, thanks to which it can verify whether the benefits are not paid twice, i.e. in one country unduly received.